With the warm weather, the following tips can prove very important for travelers:
- Checking road condition by smartphone or local radio - Application (app) “gas buddy” will help to find better price gas. Other apps, such as “Sit or Squat” will help to locate public restrooms.
- Check all the fluid levels which include oil and other fluids as the temperature gets warmer or bring the vehicle to an auto service for a checkup prior to a long trip. Make sure that the auto service is a member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Tire pressure, wiper blades and head light condition - Uneven wear patterns could mean an alignment problem or worn out tires. Place a penny in the tread gaps with Lincoln's head facing down - if the head is fully visible, new tires are needed.
- Towing policy coverage - Assure towing is included in your insurance policy
- Bring only necessary items on the trip since an extra 20-50 pounds of clutter in the vehicle could help reduce the vehicles “miles per gallon” (MPG) by up to 4%.
- Keep an emergency kit and a gallon of water in the vehicle since either might be needed when the vehicle is “overheat”
- Turn on headlights at all times while driving since it is noticeable to other motorists therefore preventing accidents. Fasten seat belts all the time and follow the speed limit.
- Keep a distance from other vehicles in front of you especially in a traffic jam since tailgating may cause vehicle “overheating”